I offer two services: coaching and developmental editing.
What is coaching?
In coaching, the coach helps the client come up with their own solutions, priorities, and action steps. Coaches ask powerful questions to help the client move toward their own objectives. Coaching might be right for you if you’re looking to reconnect to your motivation, set your priorities, create a vision for a project or your career, improve your relationships, and re-balance your work and personal life.
What can we work on?
- planning, writing, and finishing a dissertation or book
- writing project management, motivation, and getting unstuck
- research program management, planning, and execution
- collegial relations
- getting ready for tenure and/or promotion
- going on the job market
- transitioning out of academia
- work-life balance
- managing service commitments
- how and when to say yes or no
- short, medium and long term career planning
Head over here to learn about my coaching packages.
“I worked with Leslie when I was at a crossroads in my professional academic career. She provided emotional support and scaffolding that helped me confront issues I hadn’t known I had. Leslie is open-minded, and no matter what I told her, I never felt judged or devalued. … Leslie provides values-focused guidance and compassion.“
What is developmental editing?
Developmental editors offer a “big picture” assessment. I work on book proposals, grant proposals, journal articles, book chapters, and job market materials. This work focuses on questions of argument, evidence, analysis, narrative, structure, and style/tone. It’s not line editing or copy editing; rather, developmental editing provides an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of a piece and offers a roadmap for revisions.
I offer development editing services for documents such as:
- academic and non-fiction book proposals
- articles intended for peer-reviewed journals
- book chapters
- dissertation chapters
- research proposals
- CVs, cover letters, research, teaching and EDI statements
What if I need some combination of coaching and developmental editing?
A free strategy session can help us figure out what combination of services is right for you. I can customize a package that includes different types of services.